Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Day 12: Victory!

That's right, I have officially completed all forty hours of my shadowing. Notice how I didn't say my Graduation Project? Yeah, that's because it's not over.

Today was a day as the first: boring, in the office, watching Jeff write articles and asking him questions about them. But all of that is okay, because it's done.

I thought it was funny because Jeff and I had a discussion about what I've learned. He said right off the bat "I don't think you learned much." And he didn't mean that as in I wasn't paying attention, more that there wasn't too much I really could learn. I went out "in the field" and watched Jeff know everyone on the spot. People could tell he was writing for a paper, I learned that you have to be social in order to go to events and talk to people. I learned that small newspapers like The Advance have to have editors take and edit their own videos and pictures. I also learned that procrastinating leads to hours of work after everyone has left at the office.

In the end, I learned that this isn't what I want to do. I want to write, but not in this way. I find newspaper articles to be cheesy and boring and they can lack creativity, which is what I love the most about writing.

I'm glad to have had this opportunity with Jeff but I'm still nervous about presenting in November.

Wish me luck!

XDara

Hour Tracker: 40 HOURS

No comments:

Post a Comment