Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Day 9: Rockin Music and Glares Across the Room

So I suppose I should catch up on this, considering Day 9 was really on Thursday, July 29. The reason I have not posted about it is simply because I was busy, college visits and all that jazz.

Back on topic. Early on the morn of last Thursday I joined Jeff at Stony Brook Farm to interview three men. I do no recall their names but they organized Newtown's first annual Musicfest. Now Newtown can be a little notorious with its "fests" but this one seemed genuinely a great idea.

The ad is over to the left but I'll explain what I learned. The event is on August 15th, which is good because I come back the day before, and it's a free night of music. There are several artists performing, the only ones that I knew of were the Mango Men. The three men wanted the event to be free because this is the first year they are doing something like this and thought it would be best to draw a crowd of young people. Other than a free concert, local restaurants will be present to allow people to sample food and advertise the business.

I thought it was quite clever how the three men were divided up, and I thought it was really cool that a small group of very manly men was organizing this event. The first, whose name I believe is Jim, covered the music. He owns his own recording company and was responsible for getting all of the bands. The second, whose name was Paul, runs the actual event, organizing the restaurant and prep work. The third, whose name I do not recall, was the owner or manager of Stony Brook Farms, he was obviously providing the land.

I had little to say during the interview but then Jeff handed it off to me. I didn't have any questions, [I was not previously informed on what we would be doing] but I did tell them how great an idea it was. From the ad, which is young and different [and a lot brighter on paper], to the fact that the event is free. I told them that as teenagers applying to colleges and working on grad projects we do not have money to just throw at people.

Musicfest runs for ten hours and I would suggest going later in the afternoon for bands more age appropriate. It sounds like a fun night out, and I'm definitely going!

The second half of my day may have appeared to be very boring and uneventful but it was actually quite intense. I attended the Northampton board meeting. Some of the topics that were covered involved reactivating the train lines, possible inspections on alternative energy and others.

Before any actual business was preformed a captain in the army was received back from Iraq and another was given a flag on the structure behind the board's table. It was a very nice ceremony.

What I enjoyed most was the people watching. There were so many little hints at who hated who. However, Jeff was taking notes because he could not record it. Then I realized that while I was having a great time watching people...I was alone in the first row. And became extremely self conscious.

Check out this picture of all of the boring names they had! Haha.

Well I'm off to vacation. Adios!

XDara

Hour Tracker: 28:00

No comments:

Post a Comment